Tornado Safety Tips
Prepare for the continuing tornado season.
- Know the difference between a tornado watch and a warning. A watch means that the conditions are favorable for a tornado to develop and that you should be alert. A warning means that a tornado has been spotted and that you should take shelter immediately.
- Download the Red Cross Tornado Warning App for alerts on upcoming tornadoes and storms. This application will give you step-by-step instructions on how to prepare for a tornado, what to do when the tornado hits, and has a siren that will go off in case of an emergency.
- Have plenty of emergency supplies including water, food, medicine, flashlights (and batteries), a full tank of gas, and important documents.
- If time permits you should move all lawn furniture and trash cans away.
- If you are in a mobile home you should find a prearranged shelter. Since your mobile home is not built into the ground, it can be picked up and airborne in no time.
- If you are unable to flee before the tornado hits you should take shelter indoors in a basement or interior hallway or room – you must avoid windows.