PITTSBURGH ROCK ‘N ROLL LEGENDS AWARDS ANNOUNCES 2015 SLATE OF NOMINEES;
PUBLIC REGISTRATION/VOTING PORTAL NOW OPEN; TICKETS ON SALE FOR APRIL 23rd EVENT
PITTSBURGH – FEBRUARY 23, 2015 – The Nominating Committee for the Second Annual PITTSBURGH ROCK ‘N ROLL LEGENDS AWARDS, has announced its slate of nominees for the 2015 event, set for Thursday, April 23 at the Hard Rock Café, Station Square. The event called “Rock ‘N Rolling over Cancer, sponsored by UPMC/UPMC Health Plan,” honors the tremendously talented individuals and organizations that have contributed to the rich history of rock and roll music in Pittsburgh, while raising money for the Pittsburgh-based Cancer Caring Center. To build on the solid foundation of last year’s inaugural event with the induction of concert promoter Rich Engler, a comprehensive nomination and voting process was instituted this year, whereby a “class” of three individuals or groups in three different categories will be inducted as Legends this year and beyond.
The slate of nominees for this year’s Legends Awards is:
- Modern Era Legends (Groups or solo artists with 20+ years in the business)
- Billy Price: East coast blue-eyed soul man; toured nationally as lead singer for guitarist Roy Buchanan for three years; founded and led Keystone Rhythm Band and the Billy Price Band
- Donnie Iris: Singer, gold record-winning songwriter known nationally for Top 100 hits “The Rapper,” “Ah Leah,” “Love is Like a Rock” and “I Can’t Hear You. Front man for the Jaggerz, Wild Cherry and Donnie Iris and the Cruisers
- Joe Grushecky: Prolific songwriter, singer and guitarist who’s released 18 albums as leader of the Iron City Houserockers or as a solo artist; often co-writes with Bruce Springsteen
- Rusted Root: Major touring act that continues to headline across the U.S. and Canada; platinum selling album “When I Woke,” features the enduring song “Send Me On My Way,” which reached #72 on the Billboard Top 100 (Nomination is for band members who played on their gold and platinum albums)
- Non-performer/music professional (Individuals with 20+ years in the business)
- Joe Rock: Manager of Skyliners and Jaggerz; formed the Skyliners and wrote the lyrics to their hits “Since I Don’t Have You” and “This I Swear”
- Nick Cenci: Founded Co & Ce Records with Herb Cohen and launched the careers of Lou Christie and the Vogues
- Pat DiCesare: Major long-time concert promoter and songwriter. Played a major role in bringing the Beatles to Pittsburgh in 1964
- Porky Chedwick: Pittsburgh radio icon; one of the first DJs to present racially diverse music in a major city; “Daddio of the Raddio and the “Platter Pushin’ Pappa.” Credited by many artists for breaking their records
- Legacy Legends (Groups or solo artists with 40+ years in the business)
- Del Vikings: Had smash hits with the classic songs “Come Go with Me,” “Whispering Bells” and “Cool Shake.” Many lists of the top all-time Doo Wop songs rank “Come Go With Me” at #2 and also include “Whispering Bells”
- Lou Christie: Million-selling singer/songwriter known for his distinctive falsetto voice, with hit singles such as the #1 song, “Lightnin’ Strikes,” “The Gypsy Cried,” “Two Faces Have I,” ”Rhapsody In the Rain” and I’m Gonna Make You Mine”
- Skyliners: Sang one of the top Doo Wop hits of all time – “Since I Don’t Have You” as well as “This I Swear.” They were the first group to feature a string arrangement in a rock and roll song (Nomination is for original band members)
Note: See more extensive nominee bios at www.PittsburghRockLegends.com
Winners for this year’s Legends Awards will be selected through votes cast online by the Legends Nominating Committee, the general public and the Pittsburgh Rock ‘N Roll Legends Awards Academy of Voters – assembled for this purpose, and comprised of nearly 200 knowledgeable, local music industry pros. The public can register to vote for their favorite nominees at www.PittsburghRockLegends.com now through March 9 at 11:59 PM. Once registered, public voters will receive a ballot via email within 24 hours (one vote per person only). Members of the Academy of Voters, who opted in to participate, will be sent ballots directly, and all of these ballots will be combined to determine the final outcome. Votes will be reviewed by an independent, volunteer third-party panel of judges comprised of a CPA, a journalist and a federal judge to assure that the voting process was fair and transparent. Winners will be announced March 19.
The April 23 Awards event will feature special VIPs; musical guests, and performances by local all-star musicians such as Joe Grushecky, Donnie Iris, B.E. Taylor, Rick Witkowski and others; a commemorative Hard Rock Cafe collectible pin created especially for the event; specialty cocktails and hors d’oeuvres and a live and silent auction. Additionally, this year’s event will include a fashion component and other surprises. Auction items collected so far, which will be viewable online for pre-event bidding closer to the event through www.BiddingForGood.com, include event tickets, gift certificates and many autographed items from music and sports legends such as Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, KISS, Tony Bennett, Rod Stewart, Joe Perry, Santana, Mario Lemieux, Pedro Alvarez and others.
Tickets are now on sale at www.PittsbughRockLegends.com. Prices are the same as last year: $200 for VIP and $150 for General Admission. Doors open at 5:30 for VIP and 6:30 for General Admission. Guests may also call the Cancer Caring Center anytime to purchase tickets at 412-622-1212.